Oh yes, this is a serious guide. You would not believe the crazy things I’ve seen people do, trying to get refuse out of their homes or offices. People don’t often think about taking out the trash, because it’s a simple task. But they’re doing it wrong, and that make it difficult. When its difficult, people don’t do it. So let’s make it easy.
1. Avoid over-filling the garbage bag while it’s in the trash can. Try to crush or compact the trash so it reduce in size, maximizing capacity of the trash bag.
2. Leave some extra room at the top of the garbage bag to tie a simple knot, ensuring garbage does not fall out.
PERSONAL NOTE / SAFETY TIP: If your significant other asks you to take out the trash, do it sooner rather than later.
WARNING: be very careful with items like glass and metal cans. Anyone can easily get cut on broken glass or metal edge. Try to place glass inside another container and then in the trash.
3. Move bag/bags of trash to drop of point, be it the garbage chute, the curb or a larger municipal garbage container. Make sure nothing is dropped of left behind.
PERSONAL ACCIDENT NOTE: If you take out the trash at night, make sure your path is well-lit. there’s nothing worse than tripping over a toy or stick and falling into garbage. Not that THATS ever happened to me. No sir.
4. If you have more than one bag to transport, consider using a then a wagon, wheel barrow, or cart to help move the garbage.
5. Throw all bags into the chute/container/dumpster.
If leaving the trash outside, ensure a lid is place on the contain/dumpster and secured. Here’s why:
6. Place a fresh plastic bag into the home garbage can. Replace lid if necessary.
check out Made Man for the best and worst garbage bags to buy.
INFORMATION: In some places, taking out the trash involved using a dumpster, barrel or municipal container on the street curb. If this is the case, follow your municipal guidelines for both placement and the time. Once the trash has been emptied into the municipal collection truck, return the barrel or dumpster to a location on your own property: they can be stolen, and are expensive to replace.
HOME EC TIP: If you live in a house with multiple people and there will be a lot of garbage, line your garbage can with 2 bags for extra strength. This will make sure it doesn’t tear when you take it out.
Join Me on Facebook!